- 500 grams of beef or pork mince
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
salt and pepper
- 1 can (432 grams) of pineapple chunks in juice, liquid drained
- 1/2 bottle (165ml) of “Ginger Beer and Spiced Rum”
- 5 tbsps of “Buderim Sweet Ginger Sauce”
- 1/4 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/3 cup of tomato sauce
- 1/4 of each – fresh green, yellow and red capsicums roughly chopped
- 2 tsps cornstarch with 1 tbsp water
- fresh ground pepper and salt to taste
- Mix all the meatball ingredients together and roll into balls (roughly golf ball size).
- Lightly brown the meatballs in a hot frying pan with a bit of oil. Put in your slow cooker. Add the sauce ingredients (except the cornstarch) to the slow cooker and gently mix together.
- Cook for 4 hours on medium, the time can be adjusted for longer if you wish. At 3.5 hours, taste and add more spiced rum if needed.
- Mix cornstarch with the water and add to sauce. Mix in and let it cook for 30 minutes. This will thicken the sauce. If you want to thin the sauce, you can also add some of the pineapple juice or more rum! Serve hot over fresh rice.
- Enjoy with an ice cold Buderim Beer and Spiced Rum and dream you are in the Caribbean!
Pirate Style Sweet and Sour Meatballs