15 – 20 mins
1/4 cup buttermilk or milk
1/2 cup unbleached or regular plain flour
1/2 cup wholemeal flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoonp bi carbonate of soda
1/3 cup [86g] firmly packed dark brown sugar or light muscovado sugar
100g Buderim Ginger Naked Ginger or Glacè Ginger
Buderim Ginger Crystallised Ginger, cut into about 5mm pieces
50g [1/4 cup] dried cranberries
50g pistachio, macadamias or unblanched almonds, roughly chopped
1 cup [40g] bran flakes
- Preheat oven to moderate [180°C].
- Gently warm butter and milk until butter melts.
- Combine flours, baking powder and bi carb in a medium-sized bowl and mix well.
- Add sugar, ginger, dried fruit, nuts and bran flakes, mix well.
- Add melted butter mixture, mix to a soft dough, mixing lightly to thoroughly combine all ingredients.
- Divide mixture into 24 even portions, [about size of a medium walnut], form into balls and place onto a non stick baking paper lined baking tray about 6mm a part, as they will spread. Press down gently.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 to 18 minutes turning tray around if necessary half way through baking, until golden brown in colour.
- Remove from oven, cool on tray on a wire rack for about 10 minutes then transfer to wire cake rack to finish cooling.
Immediately cooled, store in airtight container.
A standard Australian Metric 250ml cup & 20mL tablespoon measuring sets are used
New Zealand Metric tablespoon measure = 15mL or 3 teaspoons