Ginger, Date & Lemon Puddings with Butterscotch
30 – 35 mins
10 puddings (or cakes)
1 small [100g about or 1/3 cup] ripe and juicy lemon, finely chopped, removing pips
150g dried dates, very finely chopped
100g Buderim Ginger Naked Ginger, Buderim Ginger Crystallised Ginger or Buderim Ginger Glacè Ginger, finely chopped
100g butter, softened at room temperature
1/2 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup lightly packed light or dark brown sugar
2 x 59g eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk or sour cream
1 1/2 cups unbleached or regular plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
Butterscotch Ginger Sauce
150ml pure cream
2 tablespoons dark brown sugar or dark muscovado sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
100g Buderim Ginger Glacè Ginger, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to moderately slow [170°C].
- Line a large capacity muffin baking pan with 10 muffin paper cases.
- In a blender or using a stick blender, pulse finely chopped lemon to pulp.
- Combine lemon pulp with very finely chopped dates [Dates can be blended also, but not with lemon] and Naked Ginger, Crystallised Ginger or Glacè Ginger.
- Cream butter and sugars until pale and creamy, add eggs one at a time until just blended.Stir in buttermilk or sour cream, then ginger mixture.
- Sift together flour and baking powder. Gently fold in sifted flour into ginger mixture.
- Spoon mixture equally into prepared muffin paper cases.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 to 35 minutes or until when puddings are tested with a fine cake skewer it comes out clean. Cool on a wire cake rack for about 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove paper patty cases and serve warm with Butterscotch and Ginger Sauce.
BUTTERSCOTCH GINGER SAUCE
(Makes about 250ml)
- In a small saucepan combine all ingredients, over a low heat, stir continually until sugar dissolves, then bring slowly to boil. Reduce heat slightly and gently boil for 4 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve with immediately. Pour a little over puddings and remainder in a warmed serving jug.
The puddings (cakes) freeze well up to one week. Wrapped in freezer wrap or freezer bags and sealed well.
A standard Australian Metric 250mL cup & 20mL tablespoon measuring sets are used
New Zealand Metric tablespoon measure = 15mL or 3 teaspoons