Ingredients for the filling:
- 3 tbsp. vegetable/canola oil
- 2 tbsp. garlic (minced)
- dried mung bean vermicelli noodles (soak in water at room temperature for 8-10 minutes until soft then drain)
- julienne carrots
- 3 dried shiitake mushrooms (soaked until softened and thinly sliced)
- white cabbage (julienne)
- ¼ cup Thai basil (roughly chopped)
- ¼ cup chopped coriander leaves
- ¼ cup thinly sliced spring onion
- 2 tbsp. finely chopped Buderim Glacé Ginger sealed in syrup
- vegan meat mince or chopped firm tofu
- 2 tbsp. vegetable stock powder
- 2 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. cracked pepper
- 1 pack of 8 inch square spring roll wrappers (total 20 sheets)
- 1 ½ tbsp. of water
- 2 tbsp. of plain flour
- Canola oil (or peanut or vegetable oil, for frying)
- 1 tbsp. white sugar
- 2 tbsp. Buderim Ginger Marmalade
- 2 tbsp. Buderim Ginger refresher cordial
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ½ tsp. salt
- 2 large red chilies (de-seed, finely chopped)
- 2 tbsp. julienne carrots
- Dipping sauce: put all ingredients except the julienne carrots into a small pot. Cook on medium heat until the sugar and marmalade has dissolved. Remove the pot from the heat and add 2 tbsp of julienne carrots to the pot. Mix and put aside.
- Filling: add 3 tablespoons of oil into a frying pan until hot. Add the garlic mince and sliced mushrooms, stir for a minute then add vegan mince or chopped tofu. Stir for a dew minutes then put the cooked mince into a stainless steel bowl and let it cool (if it has too much liquid, drain the filling in a colander over the stainless steel bowl.
- Use scissors to cut soft vermicelli noodles into 3cm, long pieces and out them into a bi bowl and then add julienne carrots, cabbage, basil, coriander, spring onion, chopped Buderim Ginger Glacé Ginger and cooked vegan mince/tofu. Season the filling with vegetable stock, soy sauce and cracked pepper. Wear gloves and massage all filling until well combined.
- Mix together 1 ½ tbsp of water and 2 tbsp of plain flour in a small bowl and use as a glue for the spring roll wraps.
- Wrapping method: lay the wrapper on a flat surface by putting the triangle corner facing towards you. Put about two spoonfuls of the filling into the wrapper (about 2 inches from the corner that is closest to you). Roll it over once and fold over both sides. Continue rolling it into a cylinder shape. Use your finger/brush or small spoon to put the glue of mixed flour onto the corner end of the wrapper to seal it (making sure that the spring roll is tight but not over filled so that it doesn’t leak and burn when deep-frying).
- To fry the spring rolls, fill a small pot with oil until it’s 6- 8 cm deep. Heat the oil slowly over medium heat until it reaches 180-190c. Gently add the spring rolls, frying in small batches. Carefully roll them in the oil so they cook evenly until golden brown and transfer them to a plate lined with paper towels. Serve the spring rolls with the dipping sauce.
Crispy Vegan Spring Rolls with Buderim Ginger Dipping Sauce