Dominique Rizzo – Ginger Spiced Quail
With tamari butter sauce, pickled pear & cucumber salad, sticky roasted miso & ginger sweet potato
Ginger Spiced Quail
- 1 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tsp powdered ginger
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp. cracked pepper
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbs. olive oil; more for cooking
- 8 quail, spatchcocked
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1/2 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tbsp Buderim Ginger, Lemon & Lime marmalade
- 1 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 tsp. sesame oil
- 1 tsp. soy sauce or tamari
- 2 tbsp minced Buderim Naked Ginger
- 2 tsp. soy or tamari sauce
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
- In a small bowl, combine the brown sugar, sesame seeds, ginger, coriander, pepper and salt.
- Rub the quail all over with oil, then sprinkle over the seasoning, using most of it on the meatier side of the birds. Set the quail aside in the fridge.
Make the glaze
- In a small saucepan, whisk the mirin, sake, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, and soy sauce over high heat, and bring to a boil.
- Lower to a simmer and cook, whisking occasionally, until reduced to about 1/2 cup, 10 to 20 minutes. Set aside.
Make the butter
- In a small bowl, combine the ginger and soy sauce, beat in the butter, and stir to combine.
- Set aside.
Grill and glaze the quail
- Heat a grill fry pan over moderate heat, grill the quail, breast side down, until the skin has nice grill marks; 3 to 4 minutes.
- Flip the birds over, brush with the glaze, and cook for an additional 3 – 4 minutes on that side until cooked through.
- Transfer the birds to a serving platter, breast side up, and spread with some of the butter.
- Tent with foil for 5 minutes. Garnish with the chopped shallots and salt and pass the remaining butter at the table.
Pickled Pear & Cucumber Salad
- 1/4 cup peanuts, roasted unsalted
- 2 cups finely sliced cucumber
- 1 pear thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 2 tbsp spring onions / eshallots sliced
- 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp Buderim Ginger Beer and Pear
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- Combine cucumber, pears, peanuts, chilli, spring onion and coriander.
- Whisk together the Ginger beer, sesame oil and rice wine vinegar, pour this over the salad and toss together.
Sticky Roasted Miso & Ginger Sweet Potato
- 2 tbsp Buderim Original Ginger Marmalade
- 3 pieces Buderim Naked Ginger, minced
- 1 tbsp white miso
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 tbsp tamari sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp dijon mustard
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp parsley, chopped
- 4 tbsp coconut yoghurt (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200c, slice the sweet potatoes into wedges.
- Place all the glaze ingredients together in a mini processor or whisk to combine.
- Toss the sweet potato wedges into the glaze and cover well. Lay the sweet potato onto a tray lined with baking paper and roast for 12 – 15 minutes on one side, then turn over and bake for another 12 minutes, brushing them with the glaze in the tray.
- Serve with chopped parsley, sesame seeds and optional coconut yoghurt.