Ginger the "Universal Medicine"
You may find it very interesting to know that while many of us enjoy ginger as a treat and in our meal, it's also bringing us thousands of years of widely recognised health benefits.
Originating in Southeast Asia, Ginger (Zingiber officinale) has come to be regarded as one of the most important spices in the world. For over 5000 years ginger was revered as the "universal medicine" by the ancient Orientals of China and India, and highly sought after by spice traders.
Ginger has a long history of medicinal use around the world and has been used over the centuries to treat nausea, indigestion, fever and infection and to promote vitality and longevity. In traditional Chinese and Indian Medicine, ginger has been used to treat a wide range of ailments including stomach aches, diarrhea, nausea, asthma, respiratory disorders, toothache, gingivitis, and arthritis. (1) Today, ginger remains a component of more than 50 percent of the traditional herbal remedies.
Ginger is packed full of nutrients including:
- Magnesium (helps with muscle and enzyme function, energy transportation and protein production)
- Potassium (a mineral essential to the proper regulation of fluids and minerals in the body)
- Vitamin B6 (essential for energy production; fat and protein metabolism; and healthy skin, hair, eyes and liver. It also promotes a healthy nervous system)
- Copper (essential in the formation of red blood cells)
- Manganese (helps with bone formation, thyroid function, connective tissue formation, calcium absorption and immune functioning)
- Antioxidants (help to reduce body inflammation and can help scavenge disease-causing free radicals).
Medicinal Properties of Ginger
- Cold and flu prevention and treatment
- Migraine relief
- Powerful antioxidant
- Morning sickness
- Motion sickness
- Relieves chemotheraphy related nausea
- Prevention of nausea after gynaecological laparoscopy
- Rheumatism and musculosketal disorders
- Menstrual cramp relief
- Manages the effect of diabetic complications
- Improves circulation
- Colon cancer prevention
- Ovarian cancer treatment
- Helps manage prostate cancer