LEMON GINGER DELICIOUS TART
35 mins plus 1 hour resting of pastry
8 to 10
50g Buderim Ginger Glacè Ginger, very finely chopped
1 1/2 cups unbleached or regular plain flour
150g cold butter, chopped into small pieces
1/3 cup pure icing sugar
2 x 59g egg yolks (for pastry)
3 x 59g eggs
3 x 59g egg yolks (for filling)
150g caster sugar
1/2 cup [125mL] lemon juice
150g marscapone, softened at room temperature
1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest
1/3 cup Buderim Ginger Ginger Lemon & Lime Marmalade
2 tablespoons pure icing sugar OR
1/2 cup caster sugar or light brown sugar
- In a food processor with blade attachment add Glacè Ginger, flour and cold butter, pulse chop to resemble coarse breadcrumbs.
- Add icing sugar and 2 egg yolks, pulse until well combined. Tip onto bench and knead very lightly to form a soft ball. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile: prepare filling. Whisk eggs and additional 3 egg yolks, with sugar and lemon juice; strain – this creates a very smooth egg mixture.
- Whisk mascarpone until smooth, stir in lemon zest, add to egg mixture. Gently stir so not to create too much froth.
- Preheat oven to slow [150 C].
- Using coarse side of grater, grate cold raw pastry into a loose bottom metal oblong 9W x 9L x 2.5D cm flan pan or 20cm loose bottom metal round flan pan. Press evenly up sides and on base.
- Blind bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes. Remove from oven. Very carefully remove paper and weights used in blind baking. Cool on wire cake rack.
Reduce oven to slow [140 C]
- Using a small rubber spatular spread base of baked pastry evenly with Ginger Lemon & Lime Marmalade.
- Gently over an inverted spoon, pour over egg mixture.
- Return flan to oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes until centre part of filling is just set.
Remove and place on wire cake rack to cool.
Serve warm, at room temperature or cold. Decorate with a sprinkling of icing sugar. Or create a brulee topping – sprinkle top with caster sugar or light brown sugar and using a chef’s torch carefully blowtorch sugar for about 1 to 1 ½ minutes, or under a moderately heated grill about 3 minutes or until sugar melts to form a smooth caramel glace. Watch pastry edges do not over brown.
3 juicy lemons = ½ cup [125ml]
Egg whites from pastry ingredients can be used to make macaroons, meringues or apple snow or favourite egg white recipe.
There is about 220g pastry over; enough to line a 17cm loose bottom flan pan for a marmalade, Bakewell or fruit tart.
A standard Australian Metric 250mL cup & 20mL tablespoon measuring sets are used
New Zealand Metric tablespoon measure = 15mL or 3 teaspoons