This one is a wintery cosy one. Lots of lovely warm spices. It is very flexible and you can easily change the flavours in the syrup by adding more or less spices. Have a try!
- 100 grams of Buderim Crystallised Ginger
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 3 dried cloves
- 10 coriander seeds
- 3 cups of water
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 fresh star fruit – sliced roughly into 4 slices per star fruit.
- 2 tablespoons of a rich dark brown sugar (I used palm sugar)
- 1. Put the ginger, spices and water into a pot, bring to a boil and then simmer for around 30 minutes. Taste the syrup and adjust. You can easily add more spice or water to it accordingly, just simmer a bit longer.
- While that is cooking, slice the star fruit and place on a lined baking tray. Top each slice with some sugar. Place it under your oven grill (about 15-20 cm below) until the sugar caramelizes and bubbles.
- When the syrup is ready, remove from heat, strain and stir in the honey. In a bowl stack up 3 or 4 hot grilled star fruit slices and pour over some syrup. Serve while hot.
Note – extra syrup can be kept in the refrigerator and poured over porridge. This is really good too!
Grilled Star Fruit in Syrup