Grilled Prawns with Ginger/Wasabi Butter with Buderim Ginger Naked Ginger
This dish is the perfect combination of wasabi and ginger, is simple to make and full of flavour.
Ginger & wasabi butter
- 400g butter at room temperature
- 1 heaped tbsp wasabi paste (or finely grated fresh wasabi root if available) or to taste as brands of wasabi vary considerably in heat
- ½ cup Buderim Ginger Naked Ginger, finely chopped
- 1 kg King prawns, deveined, butterflied
- 1 ½ cups coriander leaves, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup spring onion, very finely chopped
- ¼ cup naked ginger pieces, chopped
- Place the butter ingredients in a blender and blitz until combined. Turn out on a large rectangle of cling film and wrap, rolling into a log. Seal at the ends and place in the fridge until ready to cook.
- Heat a bbq hot plate until almost smoking. Add 1-2 heaped tbsp of the ginger butter. As soon as it sizzles and foams, add the prawns, turning regularly and cook for 1-3 minutes or until lightly charred and the butter is fragrant. Top with another tablespoon of butter and cook for another 20-30 seconds.
- Remove from the heat. Add to a large bowl with the remaining ingredients. Toss and serve immediately. These are best eaten piping hot.
(This makes more butter than required for this recipe. Keep any leftovers in the freezer wrapped tightly in cling film)