GINGER, PECAN CARAMEL LOAF
Loaf cakes are generally slightly more dense and moister in texture and this is true of this recipe. It’s the ‘crystallised topping’ that adds a perky dimension from the usual glacè or cream cheese icings.
60 – 70 mins
900g loaf – serves 12
1/4 cup Buderim Ginger Ginger Refresher
125g butter, softened at room temperature
1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar OR light muscovado sugar
2 x 59g eggs, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups unbleached or regular wholemeal self-raising flour
100g Buderim Ginger Naked Ginger, finely chopped
100g pecans, roughly chopped
1 tbs Buderim Ginger Ginger Refresher
1/4 cup cold water
1/2 cup granulated sugar
50g Buderim Ginger Naked Ginger, roughly chopped into 5mm pieces
40g pecans, roughly chopped
- Lightly butter or oil, large loaf pan [19cm x 9cm]. Line base with greaseproof or non stick baking paper.
- Preheat oven to moderately slow [160°C].
- Combine Ginger Refresher and buttermilk.
- Cream butter and sugar until soft, creamy and fluffy.
- Add eggs, a portion at a time, beating well after each addition. If mixture starts to curdle, add about 1 tablespoon of flour.
- Gently fold flour and buttermilk mixture alternately, into creamed butter mixture.
- Stir in Naked Ginger and pecans until just combined. Spoon into prepared loaf pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 60 to 70 minutes or until when cake is tested with a fine cake skewer it comes out clean. Cool on a wire cake rack for 5 minutes, then remove cake from loaf pan to wire rack to finish cooling.
- In a small saucepan combine Ginger Refresher, water and sugar over a low heat, stir continually until sugar dissolves, then bring slowly to boil. Reduce heat slightly and gently boil for 5 minutes, without stirring. Remove from heat, stir in Naked Ginger and pecans. Allow to stand for 5 to 10 minutes or until topping starts to thicken slightly.
- Pour over top of cake and stand for a further 10 minutes for topping to firm.
A standard Australian Metric 250mL cup & 20mL tablespoon measuring sets are used
The New Zealand Metric tablespoon measure = 15mL or 3 teaspoons