15 – 20 mins
10 – 15 mins
2/3 cup unbleached or regular self-raising
1 1/4 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
50g Buderim Ginger Crystallised Ginger OR Buderim Ginger Naked Ginger, very finely chopped
50g cold butter, roughly chopped
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
2 tablespoon golden syrup
Buderim Ginger Crystallised Ginger or Buderim Ginger Naked Ginger [optional addition]
- Preheat oven to moderate [180°C].
- Sift flour, ground ginger and soda into a medium-sized mixing bowl.
- Rub Crystallised Ginger or Naked Ginger and butter into flour mixture to resemble fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in sugar, then add golden syrup and mix together to form a paste-like dough with fingertips, whilst in bowl gently gather into a ball and knead lightly until well combined.
- Divide dough into 18 portions, gently roll into balls.
- Place on baking tray lined with non stick baking paper, leaving about 6cm space between to allow for slight spreading. Flatten balls with back of teaspoon or if desired, top with a small piece Crystallised Ginger or Naked Ginger.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes and ‘cracked’ attractively on top and rich golden brown in colour.
- Remove from oven, cool on a wire cake rack for about 5 minutes then transfer to wire cake to finish cooling.
Immediately cooled, store in an airtight container.
A standard Australian Metric 250mL cup & 20mL tablespoon measuring sets are used
The New Zealand Metric tablespoon measure = 15mL or 3 teaspoons