This showstopper dessert will have your guests in awe. Trust us when we say it tastes as good as it looks with delicious ginger and mascarpone flavours topped with gourmet honeycomb chunks.
(Make 3 x 22cm cakes)
- 300g butter
- 220g brown sugar
- 220g caster sugar
- 220g golden syrup
- 8 eggs
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla-bean extract
- 5 tbsp ground ginger
- 800g plain flour
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- ¼ cup milk
- 3 tbsp Buderim Ginger Refresher Cordial
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 250ml thickened cream
- 500 ml mascarpone
- ½ cup caramel (optional) for icing between layers
- 1 cup honeycomb chunks
- ¼ cup Buderim Ginger Naked Ginger pieces
- 1 cup loosely packed edible flowers
- White chocolate shavings
- Preheat oven to 175C. Grease and line 3 x 22cm diameter cake tins.
Beat butter, caster sugar and brown sugar in an electric mixer until pale and fluffy (4-5 minutes), scrape down sides of bowl, then beat in golden syrup.
- Add the eggs to a separate bowl with the ground ginger and vanilla bean extract. Whisk lightly to combine. Sieve over flour and bi-carbonate of soda, add ½ tsp salt. Whisk briefly then add to the creamed butter mixture and beat until just combined. Add the milk and beat again.
- Divide evenly among prepared tins and bake until risen and centres spring back when lightly pressed, about 40 minutes. Cool in tins for 15 minutes, then cool completely on wire racks. Cakes can be made one – two days ahead and stored in airtight containers.
- For the ginger mascarpone whisk mascarpone, vanilla and the cream to firm peaks, set aside. Gently stir through the ginger cordial and set aside until ready to ice.
- To assemble, trim tops of cakes flush. Smear over caramel (if using) and some of the mascarpone icing. Gently sandwich the cakes together and ice cake generously all over. Top with the honeycomb, edible flowers, ginger and white chocolate shavings.