The cake is vegan and super easy to make. The icing is not vegan, but it can be skipped if you wish as it is great just with the marmalade.
- 1 1/2 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 5 tbsps vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup water
- Preheat the oven to 180C. Note, to make a double layer cake you will need to make the cake recipe twice.
- Line a round cake pan with baking paper (1 pan per recipe so for double layer cake use 2 pans).
- Mix the dry ingredients and the wet ingredients separately.
- Mix the two together until fully combined. Pour the batter into your cake pan.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool.
*This cake is vegan, but the icing is not so you can skip the icing if you wish and just layer with the Buderim Marmalade.
Filling, Icing and Topping
- 1 cup Buderim Ginger Lemon Lime Marmalade
- 1 cup room temperature butter cubed
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp finely grated lemon rind (optional)
- Topping – Buderim Crystallised Ginger roughly chopped
- To make the icing use an electric mixer and beat the butter for 2 minutes until fluffy.
- Gradually add in the icing sugar until very fluffy and light.
- Add in vanilla and lemon rind and gradually add in milk until smooth and well mixed. *Depending on how much icing you like on your cake you may want to make more. I like a lot of icing! So for my cake in the photo I used 1.5 times the icing.
- Once the cake is cool take one layer and cover the top with some icing. Then top this with the Buderim Lemon Lime Marmalade. You will have to slightly mix up the marmalade to soften it to spread. Place the other cake layer on top. Use the rest of the icing to cover the cake. Sprinkle on the chopped Buderim Crystallised Ginger. This gives it a very yummy sweet crunchy topping!
Easy Vanilla & Ginger Crunch Cake