Dominique Rizzo – Crispy Fried Coconut Prawns with Green Papaya Salad & Pickled Ginger Chilli Sauce
6 – 8
- 400g or 16 large green king prawns, peeled, deveined, tails intact
- 1/2 cup corn flour – divided
- 2 eggs
- 60ml water
- 1/2 cup Shredded Coconut
- 3/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup or Handful of curry leaves chopped
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- ¼ tsp salt and pepper to taste
- Vegetable oil, for shallow-frying
- Mix eggs and water. Set aside.
- Place 1/4 cup of corn starch in a bowl for dusting the prawns.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ¼ cup corn flour, coconut, pepper and salt, panko crumbs, curry leaves, sesame seeds and mix well.
- Heat the oil in a heavy based pan for frying. Press the prawns into the corn flour, then cover in egg wash, then finally press into the coconut mix to cover both sides.
- Place the prawns carefully in the hot oil and deep fry until golden on both sides about 2 minutes.
- Serve with the pickled ginger and chilli dipping sauce and salad
Green Papaya Salad
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp Buderim Ginger & Lemongrass Refresher Cordial
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 long red chilli, seeds removed, finely chopped
- 1/2 green papaya (see note), shredded (a mandolin is ideal)
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups (160g) bean sprouts, trimmed
- 2 tbsp fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tbsp Vietnamese mint / basil
- 2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss well together.
Pickled Ginger & Chilli Sauce
- 1/2 cup Buderim Ginger Original Ginger Marmalade
- ¼ cup Buderim Ginger & Lemongrass Cordial
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tsp fish sauce
- 4 red chillies finely chopped
- Place ingredients in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Bring to a simmer and cook for 8 – 10 minutes until syrupy and glossy.
- Pour into a small bowl and allow to cool (it will thicken as it cools).