This warming bowl of goodness is so easy and fun to make with all the comforting qualities a soup brings.
For the broth:
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 5 cups water
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 3 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 thumb fresh ginger, roughly sliced
- 2 spring onions, cut in half & reserve some greens for garnish
For the wontons:
- 250g chicken mince
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 2 tsp Chinese cooking wine
- 2 tsp cornflour
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp Buderim Ginger Naked Ginger Sliced, finely chopped (or substitute with our Baking Ginger, no chopping required!)
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 spring onion, finely chopped
- Pinch black pepper
- 20 wonton wrappers
- Handful green beans (optional) cut into bit sized pieces
- In a large pot, add all soup ingredients.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for the filling. Mix well with a spoon until the filling becomes a little sticky.
- Place a wonton wrapper in your hand and put a teaspoon of the filling in the centre of the wrapper.
- Using your fingertips, lightly paint the edges of the wrapper with cold water.
- Fold in half to make a triangle shape and seal tightly by pinching the edges together with your fingers.
- Paint one of the lower side corners of the triangle with water and bring the right and left corners together (water painted side down) and press well to make a traditional curved wonton shape.
- Repeat for all wonton wrappers.
- When all wontons are ready, discard all solid ingredients from the soup and ensure it is simmering gently.
- Carefully add wontons and green beans (if using) and cook for 4 minutes or until wontons rise to the surface and float.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and serve with spring onion greens and sesame seeds.
Chicken Wonton Soup