Classic Ginger Scones
- Preheat oven to very hot [220°C].
- Combine flour and salt.
- Rub in butter to resemble breadcrumbs.
- Combine buttermilk and Ginger Refresher, add all at once to flour.
- With a knife gently mix until most of dry ingredients are moistened, adding a little extra buttermilk if it feels at all dry. Whilst in bowl using fingertips gently gather dough into a ball and gently knead with fingertips until dough is smooth.
- Turn on to a lightly floured board. Pat or roll out to 2cm thickness.
- Cut into rounds using a 6cm scone cutter, pushing cutter straight down into dough then pull it out without twisting for scones that will rise evenly. [You can re-roll scraps and cut additional scones, but they are never a tender as the first cut].
- Place on baking tray and glaze tops with milk.
- Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until tops are golden brown in colour.
For even more of a ginger hit try this variation:
Ginger Marmalade Scones: Make-up 1 quantity above scone dough. Bake as directed for 6 to 8 minutes, remove from oven, brush tops with about 1/3 cup Buderim Ginger Original Ginger Marmalade or Buderim Ginger Ginger Lemon & Lime marmalade. Return to oven and continue baking for 2 minutes or until marmalade bubbles.
Serve hot with Buderim Ginger Ginger Lemon & Lime Marmalade or Buderim Ginger Original Ginger Marmalade and whipped cream lightly sweetened with a couple of teaspoonsful of Ginger Refresher.
A quick method - as it saves rubbing in butter, melt butter gently. Add to buttermilk and Ginger Refresher, then mix into flour.
A standard Australian Metric 250mL cup & 20mL tablespoon measuring sets are used
The New Zealand Metric tablespoon measure = 15mL or 3 teaspoons