40 – 45 mins
750g cake – serves 8 or more
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
80g Buderim Ginger Naked Ginger or Buderim Ginger Crystallised Ginger
2 x 59g eggs
1 1/4 cups unbleached or regular plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
2 teaspoons mixed spice
1/2 cup Greek-style yoghurt
Ginger Fruit Compote
2 tablespoon Buderim Ginger Ginger Refresher
1 cup water
100g soft Mediterranean-style dried apricots, finely chopped
1 large apple [200g to 250g] Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and finely chopped
1/2 cinnamon quill or stick
100g Buderim Ginger Naked Ginger or Buderim Ginger Crystallised Ginger, finely shredded
1 to 2 tablespoon rum [optional]
- Butter or oil a 20cm ring cake pan very well.
- Preheat oven to moderate [170°C].
- Cream butter, sugar and vanilla until soft, creamy and fluffy.
- Press Naked Ginger or Crystallised Ginger through a garlic press, add to butter mixture and beat a further 1 minute to combine well.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together flour, baking powder and spice. Gently mix in half flour mixture and ½ cup yoghurt into butter mixture, gently mix in remaining flour mixture.
- Spoon into prepared ring cake pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 40 to 45 minutes or until when cake is tested with a fine cake skewer it comes out clean. Cool on a wire cake rack for 10 minutes. Carefully remove cake from ring cake pan.
Serve warm with warm Ginger Fruit Compote
GINGER FRUIT COMPOTE
(Makes 1½ to 2 cups)
- In a small saucepan combine Ginger Refresher, water and dried apricots. Bring slowly to boil. Add apple and cinnamon, reduce heat to simmer and simmer gently until fruit is soft about 5 minutes.
- Stir in Naked Ginger or Crystallised Ginger and rum if desired. Remove cinnamon quill or stick and discard.
A standard Australian Metric 250mL cup & 20mL tablespoon measuring sets are used
New Zealand Metric tablespoon measure = 15mL or 3 teaspoons